Earlier this week I posted on the rescheduling of the Giro di Coppi. If you saw the full email announcing the news (which I excerpted), you may have been struck by this sentence in the final paragraph, as I was:
We know this has been a year of disappointment for the MABRA race community.
Surely not everyone at Coppi has been following my string of 23rd place finishes alternating with DNFs, so presumably there are others who are disappointed in 2008. So what happened, both in MABRA and VACA?
- We lost some fun races: Tour of Virginia / Harrisonburg Crit, Silver Spring, Oyster Point, Chantilly, Pleasant Valley, Downtown Norfolk, Tour de Weekend, Crystal City (if "we" = amateur, mortal folk)
- There is no MABRA Age-Graded RR Championship Race
- Some of our most visible and admired racers were involved in serious crashes
- Not quite the hardware accumulation at Masters Natz we enjoyed last year
- Ricardo Ricco got busted for doping
On the other hand, we have the other hand:
- Great new events with Fort Ritchie, Working Man's Classic, Ride Sally Ride
- MABRA's very own stage race
- More stories of local heroes making a national splash, like Matt Cooke, Russ Langley, Dave Fuentes, Bobby Lea, Lorena Candrian, Sonja Evers, Nick Bax, Ben King, Tom Soladay. Others?
- And of course we have Kyle.
(I'm not sure whether to put the VA Beach Sportsplex into the assets or deficits column - maybe the folks from the 757 can weigh in.)
Where's everyone else sit? Disappointing season? Or the Best season in years?