While you were busy hitting the delete key, I was busy living vicariously as a lonely list lurker. Here's what you missed on the regional cycling list-serves...
For the Virginia Cycling Association, messages just didn't pop up as folks began hibernating:
- Even the races are hibernating: the Virginia Beach Wheelmen announced that the Bennett's Creek Cyclocross race would be cancelled this year; it will return next year, but registration isn't open yet.
- But if you want to race in a cool place this weekend, you'll want to hit up the Urban Cross at IX over in Charlottesville. Registration is still open and they even do race-day registration for the latest of the late to the party. So get out there and party with these dudes!
For MABRA, the pace of message traffic was equally slow, as if to say "winter is really coming again":
- The big race this weekend is Kinder 'Kross out in Severna Park, MD. Space is limited but there's plenty of it (and there's race day registration). So get out there and earn some points in this series (whichever one it is since we've all pretty much lost track).
- There was yet another call for a "huge grassroots movement" to stop some sort of nonsense among Republican lawmakers. I'm all for it. Let's occupy the list-serve this week and see if we can really bring it to its knees. Sure, we could march on Washington, but it's going to be cold and it's really more of a "hit the rollers" weekend. Perhaps we could occupy a 'cross race instead?
- For all clubs that host races, don't forget that MABRA reimburses some of the cost of moto-ref insurance and timing services (for TT's). If you've not gotten your big pile of money back, drop the MABRA Treasurer a line and say "where's my big pile of money?"
- This week the list-serve said "good-bye" to Sonny4114. He's been a loyal follower since March, 2008 when he offered praise for a great Snowball Crit down in Virginia Beach. Completely spent from the effort, he hasn't posted since and this week he finally said "no mas." The list is a darker place without Sonny (who just got sunnier day by day) but our community is so passionate that every time a poster falls by the wayside, there are two more ready to take up the cause!
Got any new interpretations, re-interpretations, or mis-interpretations? Send them to me so I can take a little delight in my dark, lonely world.
Gus Grissom races for The November Bicycles CX Experience, teaches History and Latin at Flint Hill School in Vienna, and writes a dissertation in his spare time. He compiles this column strictly for fortune and glory.